Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Mothers Tears of Joy

Please enjoy this article, shared from www.hijabitopia.com!


Elif writes below about the joy she feels as she learns that over the summer her beautiful daughter Jannah has decided to make one of the biggest and most beneficial decisions of a young girls life. Elif is one of 3 sisters, raised by her amazing parents to love allah above all else. Her mother, a teacher and hafiz of quran and her father, the imam of Richardson masjid, raised all of their daughters to be strong, pious, intelligent leaders of women in islam. elif in turn is passing that torch, spending her nights helping her daughter memorize quran, teaching her daughters about the beauty of islam and most importantly the strong chaste role of women in islam. Jannah practices memorizing quran while most other girls her age are watching tv after school and now at her mothers surprise and amazement read below as jannah makes another grand leap towards allah on her own free will. there is nothing more important and rewarding than raising your daughter the proper way, always having time for them, and putting education of allah and society before things like television, toys, and whatever else most parents throw their children in front of, just to QUIET them. always remember, children are given to parents with a blank slate, clean and pure, and what they become is completely molded by their parents. If you want your children to follow islam, have strong independence, and make the right choices as muslims...you must raise them within this type of atmosphere now...not later after they have developed their own bad habits, or yours. Raise them close to Islam now, for their own sake and for yours. congratulations elif, on being a successful hijab wearing woman, with amazing pious daughters who dream to follow in their mothers footsteps straight to allah.



TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2010

Tears of Joy


Tonight I'm awake. 



I'm awake in New York, the city that never sleeps.

It's unlike me to stay up so late, but I'm overflowing with emotions. It seems impossible to put my head down on the pillow and fall asleep. I have no control over the tears that fill my eyes. I have no control over the excitement, the joy and the worry all at once.


In New York, schools start tomorrow. I feel like the young child that I once was, staying up with excitement the night before school starts. Worrying about new friends, new teachers and a new year of homework, tests and projects.


Yet, I'm not that child. I'm a mother whose daughter will start school tomorrow. Going on to 4th grade. 


I'm up because I feel like tomorrow will be the beginning of a new life for my daughter. I'm up because I don't know what tomorrow and the days to come will bring for her. 


My 9 year old daughter, Janna has decided to start wearing Hijab!!! She decided to start wearing it on the first day of school!


Why am I so shocked? I'm shocked because as a mother I can't remember how and when she grew up. I remember her as a baby, I remember her as a toddler, but as a young girl so determined to start wearing hijab? I thought that day was far away.


Interestingly, I'm also shocked about her decision to start wearing the Hijab so young, so soon! 


This summer in Dallas, she asked me so many questions about the hijab, read books and articles. She heard me speak with my new convert friends about Hijab. I discussed with her when a young girl becomes responsible for her actions in Islam, and when it would be required for her to start wearing hijab. But I still didn't think she would start so soon.


I've asked her over and over again. Had long mother and daughter talks. Long discussions, with lots of questions to see if this was just a phase. But every time I got the same smart answers. 


She said " I want to start wearing it at the beginning of the school year mom!" in a tone that merely translated into "Duh! Don't you get it mom? If I become responsible in the middle of the school year, that would be way more difficult!"


Well, I got it alright. But it just didn't register. During all of the discussions I had with my friends, about beginning to wear hijab, Janna would eavesdrop into our conversations, while she seemed to be playing. Afterwards in a casual tone, she would ask me questions about wearing the hijab.

When she first told me she wanted to start wearing it, casually sitting at the breakfast table, I sat there not knowing what to say. Just sat and listened. "Aren't you happy for me Mom?" she asked. 

"Well, of course dear, but do you realize that this isn't like getting a new pair of glasses that you are excited about every single day till it wears off? Do you comprehend what you are committing to? This is a serious decision you know! I just want to make sure this is not a childish phase you are going through."


She would roll her eyes at me, like I was the one being childish. 


But of course, she was right!


Think about it. When is it too early to follow Allah's orders? Is piety for the elderly? Isn't it more precious and more rewarding when we are young? 


You might think, she's just a kid, what does she know? To that I say that she is a courageous kid, who loves Allah and wants to please Him, and only Him. She is a mature girl who knows that she will soon need to take this step and is taking control and making her own choice with the timing.


I'm awake with tears, because I'm so proud of her. I look at her and think, WOW, when did you become so mature and smart. I want her to enjoy this journey. I want her to know that each and every struggle will make her a stronger Muslim. Being the only hijabi, the only Muslim girl, in a school of 500, standing up for what she believes, in order to only and only please her Lord, is what makes her special!

May Allah keep all our children on the right path, and let them become good, strong Muslims.



With lots of tears of joy, I'd like to welcome my own daughter Janna to HijabiTopia!!!


Elif Kavakci for HijabiTopia




Elif Kavakci and her daughter Jannah
Courtesy of QueensImage Photography
http://www.queensimage.com/




Delicious
Twitter
Facebook

3 comments:

  1. mashallah ..
    may Allah bless "Jannah" >> i like her name :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost crying reading th article, Subhanallah. May Allah blessed you both and keep you in the faith of Islam till the last breath. Ameen. Jannah, you are so sweet and beautiful just like your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamu'alaikum, Sister.
    Thank you for sharing the article, I almost crying for reading this. Jannah I love you :)

    (I have follow you both from my fb and google connect. Hope can keep in touch with you)

    Nina, sister in Islam from Indonesia

    ReplyDelete

Members! Leave your opinion, question, or thoughts on this subject. You dont have to agree with it, but you do have to be sincere.